Under general supervision, the Governmental Accountant is assigned to handle complex assignments or special projects relating to budget analysis, accounting or financial reporting.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and year-to-date financial records for SMART and POS providers along with statistics report for the Authority for submittal to the State of Michigan (PTMS).
- Coordinates the month-end closing of Authority’s financial books in relationship with the Purchase of Service Program, Municipal Credits, Community Credits and Specialized Service Program.
- Analyzes balance sheet accounts and prepares supporting schedules and monthly journal voucher entries.
- Analyzes assigned accounts for accuracy, identifies problem areas, reviews problems with Manager and, as directed, takes action to resolve problems.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual Single Audit and State Eligible Cost Report.
- Prepares work papers for annual audit.
- Works with the Finance Division Manager and prepares schedules to be used in the budget process.
- Prepares billings for third party agencies and shuttle services.
- Assists subordinate accounting personnel with routine questions and problems.
- Prepares special reports as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Three years of accounting experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted for minimum requirements.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Experience with computers and accounting software.
Starting Salary: $52,582